2006-10-29

Red Light Lounge shooting update

I have done some internet digging.

One of victims is named/nicknamed "J.C.", and is black.

Update, 10:33pm: The stabbing was (one of two) at the "Scream" rave show last night. Also apparently a stabbing at "Twilight" last night.

Update, October 30 2006 12:50am: An IM contact who was at the club confirms that all three of the victims were black, and that the Red Light Lounge is a predominantly black club.

>they we all black

> its a black bar

> well there was bar fight first

> 2 times

> then this shit happen

(on the rumours that it was a revenge hit over Varnado Stobbs)

> there were som great dancers there last night so that makes sence


Update, October 30 2006 3:18am: The Edmonton SUN reports that two of the three dead have been identified. Carribean Jacey Sydney Pinnock, 27. Sudanese immigrant Thomas Tipo Orak, 18. The rumours appear to be true:
Pinnock, the father of a nine-month-old boy, was a friend of Varnado Stobbs, who was gunned down outside a nightclub at 118 Avenue and 155 Street on Oct. 6, reportedly to settle an old score.
(Pinnock's mother insists the shootings are unrelated...good enough evidence for me that they are!) Note that neither of these men would seem to be "J.C.", but both are black.

6 comments:

wildfire said...

If your going to say anything about something as serious as this, you should have your facts straight. This incident was completely unrelated. Varnardo was a good friend of mine. Jacey was the love of my life, my heart. He died being the man that he always was, one of integrity, respect, and compassion. He was the best man I have ever known. He died honorably, and I am so proud of him though it feels as though I have died. You didn't even know how to spell his name correctly. You didn't know anything but that they were black. So? Your point is? And whats a "black bar". Your writing is tainted with such ignorance, discrimination, and stupidity. The entire connation of your writing is STUPIDITY, IGNORANCE, AND RACISM. Violence is not a problem limited to the black community. Stop making assumptions, and go and educate yourself. Jacey and Varnado would never even thought of writing anything so completely senseless. They leave their legacy in the hearts of many.

Feynman and Coulter's Love Child said...

Er, what facts do I have wrong? (Is it possible to complain about "having facts wrong" when discussing a post about breaking news that has yet to be covered in any newsmedia? Not relevent here, just wondering for fun)

Unrelated eh? Even if you believe, as the evidence seems to suggest, that every black person in Edmonton knows each other, that Varnando and Jacey were friends seems like more than a little bit of a coincidence. I'm not friends (nor do I even know) a single murder victim in Edmonton over the past decade. That a murder victim is friends with a man who was murdered a mere three weeks earlier certainly indicates that the incidents are related. (Unless, of course, you are saying that they aren't related, which means that blacks in Edmonton have a high propensity for violence, which doesn't sound like something you'd be anxiously throwing your name into.)

As for spelling his name correctly, the digging I did in the hours after the incident turned up a message board saying "RIP J.C." I'm sorry if I wasn't able to piece his full "Christian" name off of that, but if somebody who he played midnight basketball with didn't know how to spell his name, what chance do I have?

My point is that 4 black people in the month of October have been murdered. For a group that's barely 1% of Edmonton's population, that's not a very impressive statistic. And a black bar would be...not Cook County Saloon. A bar characterized on its own website as a "hip hop club" where the vast majority of its clientele are made up of that same miniscule 1% of the population maybe, just maybe, might be known as a "black bar". The instant messenger contact that I quote in the post is half black, and was there with all black friends. Is this person also guilty of STUPIDITY IGNORANCE AND RACISM? I understand it used to be a Latino club before that. Can I still call Julios Barrios a Mexican bar? Or does that offend you as well?

I'm sure violence is not limited to the black community. But what percentage of Sudanese immigrants in Edmonton have been murdered in 2006? How does that compare to the percentage of Dutch immigrants to be murdered? Jacey and Varnado's legacies can be measured in many ways...

LIZ said...

IT'S NOT TIME TO SIT HERE AND DEBATE ABOUT ANYTHING. THE POINT IS THAT PRECIOUS LIVES WERE TAKEN BY SENSLESS ACTS. THE LIFE OF DAVE PERSAUD A WONDERFUL PERSON DID NOTHING TO EVER DESERVE WHAT HAPPEND TO HIM AT THE RED LIGHT LOUNGE ON OCTOBER 29, 2006. A MARRIED MAN PURSUING HIS DREAMS AND WORKING HARD TO MAKE IT COME TRUE. DAVE WAS A WONDERFUL PERSON A GIFT FROM GOD!!!! I PRAY THAT EVERYONE WHO HAS LOST SOEMONE IN THIS SENSLESS ACT WILL BE STRONG. HOLD ON AND TRUST IN GOD BECASUE HE IS YOUR ONLY COMFORTER. RIP DAVE RANDOLPH PERSAUD.

Anonymous said...

Fuck you murdering bitches if this was china the murderers would be caught in 10 mintues and shot cause theres a fucking death penalty to every motherfucking pussyshit who wants to take the easy way out and think there are no consqeuences but there are two:
YOUR ASS WILL BURN IN HEL AND THE DEVIL WIL FUCKING RAPE YOU

IF THIS WAS CHINA YOU WILL BE SHOT, THE LAW IS AN EYE FOR AN EYE

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said to "Wildfire"

Why don't you spell Varnado's name correct since your were such a good a friend? Your probably someone who knows, or even was there night he was murdered and never came forward.

Anonymous said...

dyce was a gang member he ran wit cvc. and got merked, all there is too it really